- 1-2 lbs of flank steak
- 3 quarts of water
- 8 ounces of kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon of peppercorns
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon of dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon of cloves
- Boil the water in a big stockpot and add all the salt and
spices. Let it boil for a minute and then remove it from the heat. Let
it cool to lukewarm.
- Put the meat in the pot and put it in the refrigerator for
- Start a small fire on your smoker grill. It should cover
about half the grill so you have a hot area and a cooler area.
- Remove the meat from the stockpot and pat it dry.
When the fire is horribly hot with glowing white coals, grill the meat
over the hot part for ten minutes on each side.
- Move the meat to the cooler part of the grill and close the
lid and smoke the meat for 20 to 30 minutes. The longer you smoke it,
the drier it gets. We try to stop when it is still tender, but you can
keep smoking it and then boil it in a big pot of rum and water to